At the September 9th event, Apple released a new iPod Nano with a video cam, colorful shuffle iPods with upto 2GB of memory and reduced iPod prices. Besides the iPod announcements, Apple also introduced Ringtones for the iPhone which was anticipated by the blog in a previous post.
However, the major news is the release of iTunes 9 with an interface lift, Home Sharing, Improved Syncing and other features. And the Firmware 3.1 !
So, here are the details on what firmware 3.1 brings to your iPhone:
- Improved syncing for music, photos and video
- iTunes U content organization
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards in the App Store
- Display available account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into the Camera Roll
- Option to Save as new clip when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Remotely lock iPhone with passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice COntrol on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad in MobilePhone.app
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari for anti-phishing
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
NOTE: Exchange support might break for pre-iPhone 3GS (i.e. iPhone and iPhone 3G) as Policy Requirements for encryption reported.
To upgrade your iPhone to firmware 3.1, connect it to iTunes and click on "Check for Updates".